FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds. Each year a theme relevant to the world around them is chosen as a focus for the children’s work. The teams research the topic, displaying their ideas on a Show Me poster and they also build a motorised LEGO® model. FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. rapidly develops teamwork, design, programming and communication skills, but the most important thing is that it is great fun and makes the children really enjoy STEM subjects.
How does it work?
- Form a team of up to six pupils between the ages of 6 and 9
- Register your interest with EESW here and you will be sent a registration link, a Team Meeting Guide for the coach and a LEGO “Inspire” Set
- Purchase a Lego WeDo 2.0 Set
- Download the challenge documents 2018-2019
- Coach your team through the challenge
- Bring your students to our events in 2019 (North Wales and South Wales) to present their work!
You don’t need any particular expertise to be a team coach – just an enthusiasm to help the children develop life skills while investigating a STEM topic.
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. offers children the opportunity to discover the fun in STEM and learn valuable life skills, such as teamwork, communication and presentation skills!
The students will:
- Research an area of the real-world topic and show what the team finds out on a SHOW ME poster.
- Design and construct a TEAM MODEL using LEGO® bricks and motorised moving parts from the LEGO® Education WeDo or WeDo 2.0 kits
- Learn about the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. CORE VALUES by working in a group and building self-confidence, knowledge, teamwork and life skills.
This year’s challenge is Mission Moon. Click here to download the challenge documents
The Challenge registration fee is just £33.34 + VAT per team and includes:
- 1x LEGO Education Inspire Set
- 6x Engineering Notebooks (one per team member)
- 1x Team Meeting Guide for the coach
- 1x Entry to one of the FIRST LEGO League Junior Events
You will also need a WeDo 2.0 robot, which costs around £160 to purchase. The Engineering Education Scheme Wales has funding options available for schools in Wales.
All funding will be allocated to eligible schools only, on a first come, first served basis. Only one registration will be funded per school.
RS First LEGO League Jr Grant – RS have teamed up with the Institution of Engineering to donate free registration and LEGO materials to two schools in Wales. To be eligible for the RS First LEGO League Jr Grant, your school’s free school meal percentage should be above 35% and you must sign a one-year participation agreement. The school will receive free registration for the 2018-2019 Mission Moon season and materials, as below:
- 2018-2019 – LEGO WeDo robot, Inspire Kit & Mission Moon registration
For more information on this exciting challenge, contact us at EESW/STEMCymru today!